Spanish is the third most commonly spoken language in the world, after English and Chinese. It is the second most widely spoken language in the United States. In total, 21 nations use Spanish as their primary language, including Spain and most Latin American countries. Worldwide, about 500 million people speak Spanish!
Spanish is a relatively inflected language, with a two-gender system, fifty conjugated forms per verb, and a limited inflection of nouns, adjectives, and determiners. Much of its vocabulary is similar to that of English and written Spanish is almost completely phonetic. However, Spanish can be quite grammatically challenging to master. With the right approach and the help of a tutor to guide and correct your usage, the difficulties presented by the language can be tamed and learning Spanish can be quite fun!
Make sure you take advantage of any opportunities to practice what you are learning, especially in the city of San Diego! If you travel to a Spanish-speaking area or have Spanish-speaking friends, practicing and improving your conversational skills can open doors to incredible experiences.
Becky, our Spanish tutor, is a credentialed Spanish teacher with two master's degrees, in Secondary Education and in Chicano Children's Literature. She has taught both middle and high school classes and has worked with older students to learn and refresh their knowledge of the language. Learn more about Becky at our Meet the Tutors page!
We can help with the following courses:
High School courses
- AP Spanish
- LISP 1 series — Spanish Conversation
- LISP 1X series — Analysis of Spanish
- LISP 5 series— Fundamentals of Spanish
- LISP 15, 16, 17 — Intermediate Spanish for Social Sciences
- LTSP 2A, 2B, 2C series — Intermediate Spanish I and II and III
- LTSP 2D — Intermediate/Advanced Spanish: Spanish for Bilingual Speakers
- LTSP 2E — Advanced Reading and Composition for Bilingual Speakers
- LTSP 21, 31, 41 — Conversation Workshop
- LTSP 50 series — Readings & Literature series
- Span 101 — Introduction to Spanish I
- Span 102 — Introduction to Spanish II
- Span 201 — Intermediate Spanish I
- Span 202 — Intermediate Spanish II
- Span 211 — Intermediate Conversation and Reading
- Span 212 — Intermediate Conversation and Writing
- Span 281, 282 — Intermediate Spanish for US Hispanics
- Span 301 — Advanced Conversations and Reading
- Span 302 — Advanced Conversations and Writing
- Span 307 — Introduction to Commercial Spanish
- Span 250 — Advanced Grammar
- Span 448 — Spanish Linguistics
Visit our courses page to see the classes we can help you with!
¡Ven aprender español con nosotros!